Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Big Sandy Bottom Best of 2006

Well I think it's safe to say that we here at Big Sandy Bottom are relieved to be done with 2006. It hasn't been the best of years, we've suffered some tragic losses, but I've decided to focus on some of the positives rather than getting mawkish and sentimental. So without further ado, it's time for our annual....

The Best of 2006

(the usual caveat applies - these are merely things that I enjoyed in 2006, not necessarily things that were released in 2006. This is my world, and in my world things don't exist 'til I discover them.)

Best website interchange:
A relative of mine wrote the letter that started this little interchange. I offer no other comment. http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/02/inebriated_hill.html

Best Reads:
Pigtopia,
by Kitty Fitzgerald. Not since Charlotte's Web have I cried so much over pigs. This is a seriously weird book, but I read it in one sitting beginning to end very late one night and bawled my eyes out.
The Manhunt, by James L. Swanson. I enjoy reading thrillers and this true story of the search for Abraham Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth is better than fiction.
The Adventures of the Thunderbolt Kid, by Bill Bryson. Maybe not quite as funny as his travel writings, but a great read nonetheless.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer. Didn't think it was possible that a book about 9/11 could make me smile, but Foer pulls it off.

Worst Read:
It is a bad, bad book indeed that I can't finish. I will read most anything, but I couldn't for the life of me plow through The Shroud of the Thwacker, by Chris Elliot. I thought that I would enjoy this book, because I actually like Chris Elliot and it looked really silly. I don't know how it ends, and I don't care.

Best Movies:
Borat
I'm sorry if this makes me a bad person, but I saw this movie twice and laughed until I cried.
V for Vendetta
Natalie Portman, guys in scary masks, lots of explosions, a not too subtle message about oppression and censorship. Works for me.
Little Miss Sunshine
Great art? Nope. Fun to watch? You betcha.

Best Scary-Ass Movie:
The Descent
In the words of Olivia - "Spelunking is officially off my to-do list."

Best Music:
I Don't Feel Like Dancing, The Scissor Sisters.
THEY might not feel like dancing, but everytime I hear this song, I do. Ask my family.
How to Save a Life, The Fray.
I like this album, okay! Don't give me a hard time about it.
Crazy, Gnarls Barkley. Ha Ha Ha, bless your soul! Rare hit song that is actually pretty damn good music too.
Taking the Long Way, Dixie Chicks. Politics aside, (I happen to agree with them - what could be more American than being able to think and say whatever they damn well please? Okay maybe I'm not so good at putting politics aside), this a great album. Special Bonus: Neil Finn is a guest artist! A friend of Neil Finn is a friend of mine.

TV Favorites
Heroes
Wow, I love this show. Totally replaced "Lost" in my world. Heroes doesn't take itself so seriously and it's a lot more fun. Plus it has Masi Oka, and how can you not love a show with the tagline "Save the cheerleader, Save the world." Only dilemma: once "24" starts up again, I will have to choose between my two favorite shows on Monday nights.
Runner-ups: Survivor. Yes, it's showing its age, but this season was a lot of fun, mostly due to Jonathan, Ozzy and Yul. America's Next Top Model: my guilty pleasure. I know this show totally sucks, that's why I love it!

Why my kids don't go to public schools anymore
Cinco de Mayo - May 6th! (Cunha Intermediate School Billboard , Half Moon Bay, California)

Best Cat
Just to piss Eric off, I'm going with Dishes.

Best Live Performance

A tough category this year. Toss up between the following:

  • The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
  • Guster at the Berkeley Center
  • "Not Me" performed by four incredibly talented tri-school students in Aida.
  • Eric's Milkshake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBarRFGoXI (Insider Tip: If you click this link, and then click "view more by this user" you can also watch a totally awesome video of Olivia and Raquel on "nerd day" during a pie eating contest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is super late, but I just wanted to say that

a) Once again, our tastes in various kinds of media are nearly identical

b) Thank you for posting the link to Dilbertgate. I had lost it.