Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Weekly Update February 24, 2009 - Goldilocks and the Lebanese Hamsters

Time for a good, old-fashioned Big Sandy Bottom Update. I don't have any exciting news to report, but it's been a long time and I'm going to try to get back in the habit of writing something every week, whether it's interesting or not!

Ivy is almost through with her run as Annie Sullivan in "The Miracle Worker." She is absolutely terrific in the show and we are very proud of her. Years ago, she had a list of "dream roles" that she wanted to play someday and she's hit three of them now: Eponine in "Les Mis", Abigal in "The Crucible", and now Annie Sullivan. Ivy is an awesome stud.

Olivia came home for the President's Day weekend, and we had a great time hanging out with her. We went to Benihana for Eric's birthday, with the Krows, which is always great fun.

Last night, Eric and I had dinner at Therese's house. She always has the most interesting guests. Our dining companions included a local architect, a rugged New Zealander, and my favorite crazy artist, Arabella. Arabella pretty much dominated the evening - this is a woman who can talk intelligently about the national debt, JFK, Cuba plus the DNA of Lebanese hamsters.

Otherwise, I am still holding up here at the old City of HMB. Lay-offs are coming soon, but everything is being kept very hush-hush so I don't know exactly when, or who, will be going. It's been very stressful on everyone here - I think the hardest part is not knowing. Anxiety levels are high, people are on edge, productivity is practically non-existent. I've calmed down a bit about the whole thing (just a bit) but my sleeping problems continue and I'm sure there's a correlation there. Every night I end up wandering about the house, moving from one bedroom to another, just like Goldilocks. This bed is a little too hard. This bed is a little too soft. This room is a little too loud, this room too cold. On the good nights, I'll get 4-5 hours of sleep, but not in a row because I'm constantly waking up and changing locations. Sleeping has always been an issue for me, but I hope that once the work situation is resolved one way or other, my mind will calm somewhat and I can feel rested again!

So that's all I can think of for this week's update. I know times are tough all over, so I hope everyone is doing okay.

No comments: