Friday, September 09, 2005

FROM THE ARCHIVES

FROM THE ARCHIVES…September 5, 2003

(editor's note: just like Dr. Phil, I like to revisit especially compelling stories, and provide a kind of "follow-up" for our dear readers. Not a day goes by (okay, not really) without someone asking me "whatever happened with Riley and her bowling secret?" So good news: Riley came clean to her parents, (you can watch the riveting footage of the confrontation on an upcoming episode of "Intervention) (okay, not really) and the entire family enrolled in a bowling league, playing every Saturday night at the Pacifica Sea Bowl (another lie.)

This is one of my favorite stories, as at least one reader of bigsandybottomovitch became extremely concerned about Riley, and called me up on the phone, demanding that I "knock some sense" into Riley's parents. This gullible reader knew that Riley was having some health problems at the time, and thought it was "criminal" that her parents wouldn't support her in her endeavors...

Well, it's finally happened. I think every parent dreads this situation: a friend of your child is in trouble, or is hiding something from their parents and they turn to YOU for advice. It's a dilemma-do you listen and not betray confidences? Do you tell the child's parent?

Last night, in our mailbox was a letter addressed to Ms. Riley Beresini. Most of you know Riley I think. She and Olivia have been friends since they were 4. Anyway, so there's this letter with Riley's name, and OUR address and I'm thinking "what the hell is this all about? Why is Riley using our address?"

Eric and I had a little emergency meeting, because the nature of this mail had the potential to destroy the happy little world of the Beresini family. It was decided that I would confront Riley, talk with her, and encourage her to talk to her parents.

So this morning in the carpool I handed the letter to Riley and just flat-out asked her: "Riley, why are you using our address for your correspondence from Sea Bowl?"

She looked taken aback and then, with much angst, admitted that her parents weren't supportive of her bowling habit. That she had resorted to using our address so that she could continue to receive important bowling information.

What could I do? I told Riley that I would support her in this situation, but then she asked me to drive her to practices and tournaments and I just can't go behind her parents back like that, can I? After much thought, I regretfully informed her that support was one thing, but enabling her was a whole different story.

I have given her a week to tell her parents on her own, and then sadly I will have to step in. I volunteered to be there when she tells her parents.

I will keep you informed of the situation, as I know you will all be very concerned. Please say a prayer for little Riley.

No comments: